Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Presentation day

Today I gave a presentation to the department and Rod March of the USGS and several other USGS employees that were teleconferenced. The presentation was an update on what I have been working on and was meant to spur discussion on what I could be doing better or other aspects of the project that I could explore. I think it went pretty well. Discussion points included

-sensitivity analysis on the parameters of the model vs hand waving calibration
-how the outline of the glacier changes and affects the discharge/mass balance in the model
-how unreliable the discharge data is. Not to expect perfect matches
-in 2004 ash from nearby forest fires covered the glacier and changed melt patterns

Rod March was extremely helpful! Thank you Rod!

I've included jpeg version of the presentation below. The presentation should be a good summary of what I have been doing for the past month. The model is pretty much calibrated at this point. Now I am ready to get the future climate data from Jing Zhang and run the model using the future data and then analyze it and see what looks interesting!


















No comments:

Post a Comment