Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 7 - The day the model ran!

The model:

After many valiant efforts, the model finally ran. To do this I had to update input.dat with all my case specific information eg. where my files where, what my data was like, what I wanted my output to be etc. This sounds a lot more simple than it actually is, because every line in input.dat has to be perfect and readable by the model.

Then we compiled the model in C and ran it. Regine updated the model and the handbook which I now I have my hands on (the bible!).

The output is just a txt file of discharge for whatever days and time steps you asked for and then this can be plotted graphically. There are multiple options for output, but this is the most simple. I need to get the actual discharge data and compare and that is where calibration of the model comes in because I can change things in the model to make it represent the actuale data.

Originally, the model would not run on the windows laptop of hers that I was using, but then we tried it on her mac and it worked. We think that the windows laptop does not have enough memory to run the model. The goal for the future is to have the model run on my laptop. I need gcc on my computer to do this as well as all the updated files and directory.

MATLAB:

I also worked on plotting things in Matlab and playing around with that. It was fun. I produced this figure. I need to learn how to be able to plot multiple years.



















Today is my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment